Need for Girls Shelter Home and Day Care : Girl children of slums and streets are the most vulnerable amongst the poorest of poor children. While boys in the same environment are often led astray by the allure of anti social earnings, the girls wind up being the prey of antisocials. Their need for a protected and secure environment is imperative. It is an unfortunate fact of this downtrodden level of society that slum and street males are prone to abandon their families leaving the single mother to fend for the rearing and care of their infants. In the absence of family male protection, the children become exposed to the worst elements of slum and street life. The single mother very often has to choose between going out to earn a living and leaving small children uncared for and unprotected OR staying at “home” and protecting the child but facing starvation. In any event the children are trapped in a vicious cycle of inherited poverty, without access to education and skills development that could have helped them make a future for themselves. Calcutta Social Project runs its Shelter Homes and Day Care centres on two bases.
- For the most vulnerable among the children living in a dangerous environment: a 24 hour Residential Shelter Home.
- For those in a comparatively less dangerous environment : a Day Care facility that permits the single mother to deposit the child with CSP early in the day, after which CSP feeds, cares for, educates the children in schools, and at day end enables the mother to collect her child back and take him/her home. Thereby the mother has the option of earning a living while her child is fed, protected, cared for, and sent to school.
- To provide a secure and safe environment for the endangered girl child
- To provide adequate Nutrition , Hygiene and HealthCare to such children .
- To provide and monitor Primary education to such children and thereafter High School education upto Board level by mainstreaming them into the educational process.
- To enable the child to have access to Computer education, English communication skills, and other soft skills of deportment and grooming in order that they have a competitive chance of employment
- To facilitate vocational openings for children who are not academically strong, by way of Girls Craft centre for tailoring, Tie ups with hospitals for Nursing training, Beauty salon courses, over and above what is at their disposal in Computer education.
- To enable the deprived single mother a chance to earn an honest living without compromising the safety and security of her girl child.
- To give the child a normal and holistic childhood ,as middle class children have, by way of excursions, picnics, cultural activities, sports and games so that deprived children do not have a deprived childhood.